Word of the Week

I spend my weekends cycling through the South Wales valleys, sometimes to Merthyr, or Aberdare, or other times just to Pontypridd and back. It's a beautiful thing to do, you're out in the fresh air, you get to see the landscape better than if you're in a car and there's nothing quite like the green green grass of Wales to help you move away from city life. A word I see rather a lot on my travels is - Araf - which means 'slow' in Welsh. As Wales is a officially bilingual country all road signs must be in both Welsh and English, which is cool and means that when I go to England I'm often left thinking, where are the signs? I don't speak Welsh, but everyone in Wales knows the meanings of a certain set of road signs which you see around the country, which is certainly a good way to instil a bilingual mindset when you have a dominant and minority language situation.

Picture by Hywel Harris

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Copyright Alex Tuck, 2012. Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.