Language Classes

I've been to many different language classes. From Welsh and French in school, to Catalan in university and German and Spanish at language institutes. Some of those classes have been excellent (Catalan in Manchester, thank you Àdria), some less so, which brings me to a question: Should I go to class anymore? This is a common discussion over at HTLAL, with most people plumping for the study-alone option - which is probably more related to the people taking part in the discussions over there than any general consensus in the matter. My personal conclusions are as follows:

1) Language classes can work if they are used for specific purposes by motivated students who use them as part of a wider learning strategy
2) Self-study is a great option for those with strong willpower, and if you already know what works for you in language-learning
3) I'm going to go to less language classes, and concentrate more on reading books and watching TV as well as active production

I'm not against language classes, even though my Catalan class goes slowly I like how I can use it as a central pole from which to base my outside learning and gauge my progress, but as I think about starting my 5th language (Swedish this summer) I think I'm going to base more and more of my learning on my own back.

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

4 Responses to Language Classes

  1. I have been doing class learning with my foreign languages my whole life long and this is my prefered way of learning as I am a sociable person and I like to be in groups. Sinds 2008 I am active on the HTLAL - forum and there allmost all people are against class learning. I don't agree with this point of view bacause my language knowledge is a result of class learning, so class learning can't be such a failure. The new thing for me is that since 2009 I combine my class learning with self-study because my courses have holidays/vacation and I prefer to have a continous learning process throughout the whole year. Of course some language classes may be ineffective, but in adult learning I have possibilites to choose.

    Fasulye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, there does seem to be some pretty anti-classes sentiment going around on HTLAL, but it's all about what works for you. The sociable element of learning is important, and I will continue to go to my Catalan lessons, but I'm going to be far more selective in which classes I sign up to now!

      Delete
  2. I find some classes too slow but I don't have the willpower for self-study...

    ReplyDelete

Copyright Alex Tuck, 2012. Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.