Programming Languages

Do they count? I mean, clearly there are substantive differences between languages used for human communication and languages used to create and run computers and programs - but they are both called languages, and that got me thinking.


I've learnt Spanish, German and I'm on my way to Catalan. But is that enough? Is that useful? After reading the manifesto for coding in schools over at the Guardian I've started to learn Python, a higher level language which will (eventually) allow me to program applications, games and such like. Like foreign languages, it has words, a syntax and it'll take me a while before I can manipulate it to my needs. 

Indeed, there doesn't necessarily need to be anything mutually exclusive here, as I'm hoping to utilise Python to script programs and applications that can help me learn my languages (while also being useful for my history phd too). 

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Copyright Alex Tuck, 2012. Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.