Welsh / Cymraeg

I live in Wales. And the historical language of Wales is Welsh. But that's not all. Every day, even now someone will speak Welsh somewhere. They may be ordering a coffee or learning in school, or just chatting about last night's game, but the important thing is that Welsh carries on in the day-to-day normal life of Wales (which isn't a small achievement after 500 years of competition with English).

I don't speak Welsh. But I have a growing feeling I should. It's not that I would use it every day. It's not that I think I'm going to live here for the rest of my life. It's that I feel Welsh, and I feel connected to the rhythms and rhymes of this ancient, Celtic language. I feel that I didn't give the attention I should have given at school, and so now, at 25 years of age (and not for the first time) I shall go back and start again, from pretty much zero, to learn the language of my country.

I do speak a little. And I understand a little more. Also, the alphabet is very similar and the fact that I've heard the language for 25 years and have easy access to materials means that the stars are aligned, so to speak, when it comes to learning the language. But it'll still take work, and effort, and time, and that's OK, because I've already done that with Spanish, German and Catalan.

So I'll started with Welsh in Three Months. I'll focus on the basics, perhaps just the alphabet and the basic verbs and tenses for this summer/autumn. And I'll build up. Perhaps next year I can read my first book? Perhaps next year I wont feel the ignominy of being able to say "dw i ddim yn siarad cymraeg" when the answer should be "dw i'n siarard cymraeg".

Let the journey begin.

Nos da.

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

3 Responses to Welsh / Cymraeg

  1. Hola Alex! ;)

    Bueno, he leído que hablas
    español...entonces te escribo en eso idioma.
    Es un buen ejercicio para los dos...jejeje
    Gracias por ese artículo...muy intersante.
    Veo que es lengua muy diferente de Inglés.
    Quisiera escuchar su sonido y saber como se lee...
    Ciao!
    Gabriele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola, es cierto que hablo la lengua de Cervantes y igual de cierto que necesito práctica! Escribiré más de Galés con más ejemplos y sonidos este fin de semana, es una lengua bellísima y culta que me da mucha illusión.

    Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alex! Did you start learning Welsh then? :)

    ReplyDelete

Copyright Alex Tuck, 2012. Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.